I'd love to be able to drop them, but the situation is made in a way that
we can not do anything:
That user configured their bounce domain to pass through us, but we didn't
send their bouncing email in the first place. they use another service for
that.

As long as they point their bounce domain to us, we will receive this
amount of emails back.
The only things possible to stop this is either to block this user from
sending any more emails (we aren't the senders, so we don't have any
leverage here) or to change the MX of their domain to something else (and
we don't own their domain).

That's why we are desperately trying to find a solution. In the meantime,
we are in discussion - with the service that this user is using to send
emails - to see with them how we can mitigate this, hopefully make this
client stop using our MX.

Since it's impossible to just stop that flux of incoming connections, I was
hoping you had some other ideas to avoid this, hence my original email.

Thank you for your message and your help :)