On Fri, 5 May 2023 13:39:03 +0000, Mike Hillyer via mailop <mailop@mailop.org>
wrote:

>I have a number of samples of various community-sourced traffic-shaping rules,
>but does anyone know of any official posts where the desired traffic-shaping
>behavior is listed for the larger MBPs?

They nearly all have "postmaster" pages with various requirements.  In my
experience, and that of my clients, there are a few basic rules that encompass
what those pages say, with some practical augmentations.  Roughly:

1.  Begin with your most engaged and responsive customers.  If they have not
subscribed, opened or clicked in the last 90 days, suppress them.

2.  Do not do anything surprising.  As you ramp up, do not increase the total
volume, the delivery rate per hour, and the number of simultaneous connections
by more than 50%.

3.  Begin with about 20,000 pieces per IP per day, with not more than 25% of
the total going to any specific provider system.  Set the initial injection
rate to be such that the whole campaign takes about four hours.  Adjust the
domain-based throttles to 1,000/hour with not more than five simultaneous
connections.

4.  Pay close attention to deferrals, especially from Google and the Y!
complex.  If you see "Account over quota" or "account disabled" responses,
look into how your segmentation has failed to weed out non-responders, spam
traps and stale/abandoned accounts.

Sending to smaller systems, especially ones in .it, .fr, and .de may require a
much softer start, e.g. with simultaneous connections limited to one or two,
and delivery rates under 500/hr in some cases.

mdr
--
  Oh, when there’s too much of nothing
  No one has control.