Hi,

Let's say I have domain example.com with SPF, DKIM and DMARC
records. I've put an A record in there to point foo.bar.example.com
at someone else's IP address.

Probably some cron job or other automated task on that host has sent
an email from usern...@foo.bar.example.com that has ended up at
gmail. gmail have sent me an aggregated DMARC report that includes
SPF and DMARC failures for that mail.

I did not expect that such email from foo.bar.example.com would
consult the DMARC record for the parent example.com. Is this
expected?

Does DMARC use the Public Prefix List or something to determine that
foo.bar.example.com is under the same administrative control as
example.com, and in the absence of _domainkey.foo.bar.example.com
will look for _domainkey.example.com? Amnd perhaps even
_domainkey.bar.example.com?

Thanks,
Andy

PS I don't care about making it work, and the host name is just a
   convenience for someone else. I'd rather not set or be
   responsible for DMARC policy for it at all. The desired SPF, DKIM
   and DMARC records for the example.com here were intended to be
   for a domain that doesn't send any email at all.