Michael, I was with you until it was revealed you mention a blacklist in your
response. Sendgrid assumes that the words in the response actually have
something to do with the reason it's being temporarily rejected, which is a fair
assumption to make even if it doesn't follow spec. Then using different retry
logic based on that reason does make sense at that scale. I mean effort wise,
not "we're big so we can do whatever we want" wise. I'm personally no fan of
them, but I don't think this behaviour specifically is odd at all.

Louis