On 2023-12-16 at 11:31:18 UTC-0500 (Sat, 16 Dec 2023 17:31:18 +0100)
Thomas Walter via mailop <b...@fh-muenster.de>
is rumored to have said:

> On 16.12.23 12:11, ml+mailop--- via mailop wrote:
>> On Sat, Dec 16, 2023, Thomas Walter via mailop wrote:
>>
>>> 2. Our server bounces with 550 5.1.1 User doesn't exist.
>>
>> Does your server generate a DSN?
>> If the "User doesn't exist" then it seems you should be able to
>> determine that fact when RCPT is given -- or is this just a bogus
>> reply?
>
> It's a catchall forwarded domain "@olddomain -> @newdomain", so Postfix
> accepted it before checking the final recipient.

That's not tenable in the modern world.

> Now that you said it, I'm going to suggest to the user to just alias
> individual addresses instead of the catchall.

Another alternative that is available in Postfix would be to accept certain
patterns (i.e. a regexp or pcre table) and not others, such that the user could
create arbitrary addresses within the accepted patterns, which preferably are
not matched by the delusions of random spammers

> I still think Microsoft should not complain about NDRs, especially if the
> original was from them.

NDRs have become taboo over the past ~25 years. The sound reasons for
generating them for non-deliverable mail from the world at large have been
overwhelmed by the nuisance of "backscatter" from systems that
accept-then-bounce bogus local addresses without doing an adequate job of
authenticating the original envelope sender (which is not possible to do
reliably.)

But yes: it is useless for MS (or anyone else) to complain about backscatter.
It's far more efficient to just stop accepting mail from backscatter sources
and wait for complaints. A large fraction of such systems never handle a
legitimate message for the domains to which they send their garbage.

--
Bill Cole
Not Currently Available For Hire