> On 2024-01-19 06:47, Atro Tossavainen via mailop wrote:
> > On Fri, Jan 19, 2024 at 03:31:19PM +0100, hg user wrote:
> >> Ok sorry not "most" but "some may"...
> >>
> >> My checkpoint rep said that they get their reputation lists from other
> >> companies... is it wrong ?
> >
> > It's possible that Check Point are just an aggregator and don't actually
> > have first-hand data. But I don't think of Check Point when somebody
> > says DNSBL, which may be my own failure :-D
> >
> > As far as I've been able to tell, Spamhaus, SURBL, Abusix, SpamCop,
> > SORBS, UCEProtect, PSBL at least all have their own data, I would
> > even go so far as to guess "exclusively".
>
> You didn't accidentally ignore "SpamRats" did you? ;)  But we do have
> 'some' reports of aggregators querying our data.. And of course there
> are licensed users of our data. And there are some that 'white label'
> the rejection, as if it is their own data..
>
> But in general, there isn't much 'sharing' of data, some consolidation
> of data from various sources.
>
> For the REALLY bad guys though, it would be nice if there was more
> sharing of data.. Or maybe an industry 'do not route' that all RBL
> providers can include.

        Spamhaus makes the DROP data available (which I believe is also
included in their SBL), which is useful for using firewalls to just
block or ignore connections from the worst offenders:

                DROP Advisory Null List :: The Spamhaus Don't Route Or Peer
Lists
                https://www.spamhaus.org/drop/

        UCE Protect also has level 3 listings for the worst offenders,
although I don't recall the list being downloadable for firewall use:

                UCEPROTECT Blacklist Policy LEVEL 3
                https://www.uceprotect.net/en/index.php?m=3&s=5

        The problem with all DNSBL providers including the same data from
one source is that errors can unfairly penalize with major impact
that DNSBL operators generally try to prevent.

> A great believer in sharing, but we do all have to pay the bills.

        The entire open source software movement is probably one of the very
best examples of altruistic sharing.  Supporting people who create
useful open source solutions and/or contribute to open source deserve
financial support so they can more easily pay their bills too. :)

--
Postmaster - postmas...@inter-corporate.com
Randolf Richardson, CNA - rand...@inter-corporate.com