Hi,

I knew that Google was going to start requiring SPF or DKIM (in addition to other sender guidelines [1]. But I thought they were starting February 1st, per their own sender guidelines.

I saw a bounce from a system (cron job output) trying to send directly to gmail.com, no forwarding involved.

<<< 550-5.7.26 This mail has been blocked because the sender is unauthenticated. <<< 550-5.7.26 Gmail requires all senders to authenticate with either SPF or DKIM.
   <<< 550-5.7.26
   <<< 550-5.7.26  Authentication results:
   <<< 550-5.7.26  DKIM = did not pass
<<< 550-5.7.26 SPF [redacted.example.net] with ip: [192.0.2.1] = did not pass
   <<< 550-5.7.26
   <<< 550-5.7.26  For instructions on setting up authentication, go to
<<< 550 5.7.26 https://support.google.com/mail/answer/81126#authentication d20-20020a05683025d400b006dc5452f468si4641458otu.190 - gsmtp
   554 5.0.0 Service unavailable

Am I missing something obvious or has Google started implementing this new requirement ahead of their published schedule?

The only surprise to me is that this happened ~8 days before the published February 1st date.

[1] https://support.google.com/a/answer/81126#zippy=%2Crequirements-for-all-senders

--
Grant. . . .