On Mon, Jan 29, 2024 at 12:24 PM Scott Mutter via mailop <mailop@mailop.org>
wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 29, 2024 at 10:01 AM Todd Herr via mailop <mailop@mailop.org>
> wrote:
>
>> Users can only click "This is spam" on messages that end up in their
>> inbox. If all of your traffic went to the spam folder, perhaps because it
>> was unfortunately remarkably similar to previous traffic that was deemed
>> spam, you won't get any complaints through an FBL, because the "This is
>> spam" button isn't available when viewing the Spam folder.
>>
>> There have been topics on this list as to what actually qualifies an FBL
> trigger.  Is it when a user flags the message as spam?  Or is it when the
> receiving server's MTA delivers the message into the recipient's spambox?
> As far as I know, there's never been a consensus on that.  Some providers
> may do it one way, other providers may do it another.

I am not familiar with any FBLs that are not complaint-driven, but I'll
allow that such things might exist, and if anyone's got pointers to them,
please share. All the ones I'm aware of are ones that basically follow the
gameplan laid out in RFC 6449.

There are mailbox providers out there that provide insight into what
percentage of mail from a given source was classified as spam, such as
Microsoft's SNDS program and Google's Postmaster Tools, but I've never
understood those to be feedback loops, per se, as they didn't and don't
tell you which specific messages were judged to be spam by a recipient or
other entity.

--

*Todd Herr * | Technical Director, Standards & Ecosystem
*e:* todd.h...@valimail.com

This email and all data transmitted with it contains confidential and/or
proprietary information intended solely for the use of individual(s)
authorized to receive it. If you are not an intended and authorized
recipient you are hereby notified of any use, disclosure, copying or
distribution of the information included in this transmission is prohibited
and may be unlawful. Please immediately notify the sender by replying to
this email and then delete it from your system.