On 2024-02-08 19:27:55 (+0800), Jaroslaw Rafa via mailop wrote:
Dnia  7.02.2024 o godz. 20:51:15 Jarland Donnell via mailop pisze:
Nearly 100% of
users who forward email do so because they want it in Gmail.

I am always wondering - as Gmail gives so many problems that have been
discussed multiple times - why anybody who has another mail account would want to use Gmail, and moreover - have his mail forwarded to Gmail? I would
definitely do it in the reverse direction...

Many casual users believe that Google is the internet, and email is a historical word for Gmail. I don't know how this happened, but it's the world we live in.

Remember that in the default configuration of many of today's computers (mobile telephones, tablet computers, etc), the web browser is the primary user interface, and it starts up on Google's search engine.

Gmail's web interface is just horrible, completely inefficient to use (and I say this as a person who must use Gmail at work, as our company email sits there - it is feasible only via a regular IMAP client, I wouldn't be able to
work with it if I had to use its web interface).

And if somebody uses a regular IMAP client, what difference does it make if
it's Gmail or another service?

I would wager that the overwhelming majority of Gmail users have no idea alternatives exist.

Most people don't actually use email anymore. Email is for marketing and receipts.

Philip