Hi,

On Thu, Feb 08, 2024 at 12:27:55PM +0100, Jaroslaw Rafa via mailop wrote:
> I am always wondering - as Gmail gives so many problems that have been
> discussed multiple times - why anybody who has another mail account would
> want to use Gmail, and moreover - have his mail forwarded to Gmail? I would
> definitely do it in the reverse direction...

A very common desire amongst our customers who have a full Linux VM,
that could "easily" run an MTA and any kind of local mailboxes that
they like, is to nevertheless point MX of their domains at their VM
and then naively attempt to forward all mail to their gmail or yahoo
mailboxes without SRS or ARC.

That is because they do not wish to deal with properly setting up a
mail server or POP/IMAP mailboxes, they just get as far as editing
/etc/aliases or similar.

A lot of the time their domain registrar provides them with free DNS
service so they can add an MX record — and/or free (naive,
traditional) mail forwarding from there — but to have an actual
mailbox they can do POP/IMAP with would be an extra charge.

What I'm saying is that even amongst a population that actually WANT
to be Linux sysadmins, there is very little desire to be
postmasters. So what hope for people who didn't particularly want
to be sysadmins.

I recently checked my email archive of the past 12 months of
debian-user mailing list and 30% of posters had a gmail.com address.

Last month there was a complaint on the NANOG (North American
Network Operator's Group) that changing the subject line of an email
mid-thread disrupted the way emails are grouped, the implication
being that the way gmail groups emails is THE correct way to do so.

Thanks,
Andy