>>So it still contains only ASCII, until displayed.

Exactly, but when the mail client tries to display the crap in the name field,
it causes it to crash. Guess it tries to render Emoji in a field that is not
designed to accept Emoji, thus it just silentcrash into desktop.
So people can't access their mail.

Emoji is such a stupid thing. So that’s why I kinda need to delete all emoji,
by parsing the utf8 string and then deleting everything that is emoji. Not
normal UTF8 characters, as they can can be displayed (like Chinese characters
etc).
But its just emoji, they are rendered as colored smilies, and I guess something
unexpected happens when they try to render the crap in the "From" field (where
a person's name is displayed).

Thanks,
Andy