On 2024-07-10 at 14:44:50 UTC-0400 (Thu, 11 Jul 2024 02:44:50 +0800)
Jeff Pang via mailop <j...@simplemail.co.in>
is rumored to have said:

Hi

Is there domain name discrimination in the email industry?

Absolutely. Domain names carry reputations. They make it easier to discriminate between spam and ham. "Discrimination" is not a bad thing per se.

For example, com, net, and org are considered to have higher reputations, while info, xyz, and top are considered to have lower ratings. The latter do attract a lot of spam because they are cheaper in the first year. Will this lower the ratings of these domain names?

As many others have answered: of course.

There are often solid legitimate reasons for reputation. The stat that matters is not how much of all spam comes from domains in a TLD, but rather how much of the mail from those domains is spam. In SpamAssassin we have 2 distinct TLD lists used for sender domains and for URIs in mail. Those lists are based on what mail is seen by the systems that share their masscheck results with us. If a TLD shows up in a significant quantity of "ham" we will remove it from those lists.

The complaints I have seen about that from innocent parties who chose their domains poorly usually focus on how their obscure little TLD doesn't appear on the list of TLDs sourcing a lot of spam. That's an irrelevancy, as no system is receiving all spam.

--
Bill Cole
(AKA @grumpybozo@toad.social and many *@billmail.scconsult.com addresses)