In some countries, the phone seller creates a gmail account and logs into
the phone, and the customer
never knows the account or password, and yeah, such accounts are definitely
disposable.

As pointed out, such an account is not actually required to use Android
devices, and there are about
a billion people using Android devices with no Google login... they're just
almost all from one country.

And of course, paying for Google Workspace or One Google is one way to
change the rules of the game,
but that being true does not change the shitty status quo for the free
accounts.

I haven't done a completely new device / new account setup flow in a while
to know whether One Google
is offered or not, and it's probably not available in all countries even if
it is in some.

There is a bunch of things one can do to limit the chances of account
recovery failure while you still have
access to the account, and it would be good for people to routinely
consider them compared to the potential
loss, but very little is actually being done there.  I know Google Accounts
routinely pushes for a security review
for your account, and others also do such things pushing you to verify your
secondary accounts/numbers.
Pushing for you to spend money in such a flow would be considered shitty,
though, with good reason.

Brandon