Hi All,

I run groups.io, an email groups hosting service, similar to Google Groups.
Over the past couple of years, we've had several instances of the following
behavior:

- Someone controlling several Yahoo/Hotmail/Gmail accounts will sign them
up to mailing lists. Each address will sign up for 1-3 lists, via email.
These are all confirmed opt-in.
- Months later, they will forward the messages they've received from these
lists, unmodified, to many (seemingly) random people, all at once

What I'm trying to understand is what they're hoping to accomplish. I
suppose it could be a straight up harassment campaign against us or the
people they're forwarding the emails to. But I'm wondering if it's
something different. Are they trying to somehow increase sending reputation
for their email addresses, to increase their own spam email deliverability
(and if so, how would that work)? Or something else?

This is top of mind because it just happened again overnight. I have some
spammer detection systems in place, but much of that depends on
information gleaned from a web login.

Thanks,
Mark