According to Viktor Dukhovni via mailop <mailop@mailop.org>:
>> - Months later, they will forward the messages they've received from these
>> lists, unmodified, to many (seemingly) random people, all at once
>
>How often can you reasonably rotate your DKIM signing keys (really
>mint a new selector and key)?

Good thought. I happen to have a groups.io list and I see that they
changed the selector at the end of February, but they still publish
the DNS key for the old selector.  Time to pull that plug.

>> What I'm trying to understand is what they're hoping to accomplish. ...

>Perhaps indeed sending legitimate messages somehow helps the spammer's
>IP reputation.  Rotating keys every couple of weeks may help, perhaps
>this may also require DMARC "p=reject".

My guess is similar, they somehow think that they can piggyback on your
good reputation.

I rotate my DKIM keys every month. The new keys go into the DNS on the
27th of the previous month, I rotate on the 1st, and I remove the old
keys on the 10th. On the 10th I also publish the old private signing
keys on a web server that the DNS key record pointed to. Anyone can forge
signatures with my old keys so if you want to check them, better check
them promptly.

R's,
John
--