Well, here's one example of how the phrase is currently understood:

"Who has not known the fear of trust betrayed, when a cuckoo is uncovered
in the nest, a viper in the bosom, a snake in the grass?" (Louise Guinness,
reviewing Sophia Watson's novel The Perfect Treasure in Literary Review,
May 1998, p. 38).

Learned disquisitions on the cuckoo in the nest and the viper in the bosom,
anyone?

(Like Nancy Charlton, I much enjoyed Peter Bryant's recent piece. I was
beginning to wonder if Mantovanists had forgotten what the English word
"context" means.)

>From Simon Cauchi, Freelance Editor and Indexer
13 Riverview Terrace, Hamilton, New Zealand
Telephone and facsimile +64 7 854 9229, e-mail [EMAIL PROTECTED]