It strikes me that there would be two sides to this question of a mediaeval
writer's Vergil.  On the one hand there is the matter of the manuscripts
that might have been available to him, and presumably our survivals from
that period may give us a fair picture of what those would be like.  And on
the other hand you have Vergilian tags and quotes in their own writings.
So my question is this:  what is the process by which words and phrases go
from one text to the other?  Are the different writers working from memory,
or are they writing with a codex open before them?  For if someone is
working from memory, then the evidence from their citations is likely to be
contaminated by misrememberings - at least, just enough to make the
reconstruction of the text they knew rather profitless.  That is just my
guess, however.  Do we know we have statements from these writers that shed
light on their work methods?
PT