It seems to me that Philip Thibodeau makes a good point: "what is the
process by which words and phrases go from one text to the other?  Are the
different writers working from memory, or are they writing with a codex
open before them?  For if someone is working from memory, then the evidence
from their citations is likely to be contaminated by misrememberings - at
least, just enough to make the
reconstruction of the text they knew rather profitless."

Nevertheless, I agree with David W-O that to use the Loeb edition's text in
an investigation of Dante's use of Virgil is a very strange procedure. My
own experience relates to a 1604 text, translation and commentary on Aeneid
6. By compiling a list of 100 variants from the MS, which I compared with
printed editions of the 16th cent., I was able to establish that my author
used at least three different editions. (And no doubt he sometimes relied
on his memory as well.) To examine these editions, or other contemporary
authorities such as Cooper's Thesaurus or Charles Estienne's Dictionarium,
I needed to go to a library and use either the microform room or the rare
book room or a modern facsimile reprint. To frame a useful working
hypothesis on any point (to be checked later in the library), I would
consult my own copies of Lempriere's dictionary or a 1727 printing of the
Ruaeus edition, which I had picked up very cheaply in a second-hand
bookshop in York. Their suggestions would usually be confirmed in the 16th
cent. sources. I'd have thought that some similar procedure might serve for
Dante. Might not an early printed text be found that more nearly represents
the customary readings of Dante's time than the Loeb edition? And if the
early printed text were also widely available in a facsimile reprint, so
much the better.

>From Simon Cauchi, Freelance Editor and Indexer
13 Riverview Terrace, Hamilton, New Zealand
Telephone and facsimile (+64) 7-854-9229, e-mail [EMAIL PROTECTED]