I recently had a conversation in which a friend said to me that he felt (i
can't bring myself to conjugate "to think" here) that Vergil subverts truth in
order to "suck up" to Augustus and play to the nationalist sentiment.  I
countered with the usual arguments of duty and virtue, but these held no sway.
Can anyone give me a good apology as to why book iv does indeed transcend time
and place?  I am but an amateur here, and I will say that I find book four to
be troublesome--in art and in life.  Any help?