<< I recently had a conversation in which a friend said to me that he felt (i
 can't bring myself to conjugate "to think" here) that Vergil subverts truth
in
 order to "suck up" to Augustus and play to the nationalist sentiment.  I
 countered with the usual arguments of duty and virtue, but these held no
sway.
 Can anyone give me a good apology as to why book iv does indeed transcend
time
 and place?  I am but an amateur here, and I will say that I find book four to
 be troublesome--in art and in life.  Any help? >>

In my purely personal, subjective opinion, I think IV does transcend time and
space, by focusing on the causes and effects of passionate love. Yes, the gods
send Dido's madness upon her, but the episode rings more genuinely than if it
were simply some divine cookery. Love as madness seems to me to be the theme,
and of course it is echoed throughout ancient classical poetry. Hope this
gross oversimplification helps.
Dick Miller