In fact, I think this is the seminal issue. Translations cannot be
criticized or lauded without first identifying what the purpose behind the
translation is: to reproduce more faithfully the spirit of the story or the
spirit of the language/grammar. Perhaps the best modern example are the
Lattimore translations of Homer vs. others.

A fascinating, if often linguistically dense, read on this subject is
George Steiner's After Babel (2nd ed: 1991, Oxford Paperbacks). Another
interesting commentary on translating is Brian Friel's 1980 play
Translations, available in a Norton edition of Modern Irish Drama.