To Whom it may Concern:
  Recently in my Latin class I was involved in a discussion of Virgil's
'piety' or lack thereof.  I was told that despite his traditional use of
the divine/supernatural in his works, Virgil, much like many of the
patricians of the time, was not very religious at all and hardly
believed in the Roman gods at all-a near-atheist, if you will.  I
disagreed- am I correct in this?  Surely Virgil, had he not been a
devout Roman or even one with a marginal belief of the gods, would not
have "stuck to tradition" and composed an epic glorifying Aeneas among
others for their purely terrestrial endeavours?  Please let me know what
you think-
  Shannon Merlino