>From [EMAIL PROTECTED] Mon Oct 19 17:15:52 1998
>From: "Shannon Merlino" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>Subject: VIRGIL: Virgil's religion or lack of
>Date: Mon, 19 Oct 1998 19:09:22 EDT
>Sender: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
>  To Whom it may Concern:
>  Recently in my Latin class I was involved in a discussion of Virgil's
>'piety' or lack thereof.  I was told that despite his traditional use
of
>the divine/supernatural in his works, Virgil, much like many of the
>patricians of the time, was not very religious at all and hardly
>believed in the Roman gods at all-a near-atheist, if you will.  I
>disagreed- am I correct in this?  Surely Virgil, had he not been a
>devout Roman or even one with a marginal belief of the gods, would not
>have "stuck to tradition" and composed an epic glorifying Aeneas among
>others for their purely terrestrial endeavours?  Please let me know
what
>you think-
>  Shannon Merlino

Shannon,

you're going to have to be very careful when you use the English word
'piety' in this context because the Roman concept of 'pietas' is not the
same as the related word (which has picked up many connotations and is
often coupled with 'religious' or moral piety).  The Roman concept of
pietas has much to do with the carrying out of certain obligations to
family, country, and also religion.  This is deffinately a crucial issue
for Aeneas throughout the Aeneid.  Aeneas is 'pious Aeneas' not because
he closes his eyes when he prays, but because he fulfills his duties to
family, country, and with ritual observance of religion.  One must also
remember that "believing" in religion and carrying out the duties and
obligations may be totally separate things, an oversight many people
make.

Stephanie Spaulding