A few other notes that may be of use.

>2) it was sometimes read by single readers who perhaps performed or uttered
>it in a low voice?

In addition to the Knox article, there is a particularly informative
examination of the question of silent reading in a pair of articles by M.
Burnyeat and A. K. Gaurilov, printed in Classical Quarterly (1997) 91.1.
Gaurilov cites evidence from modern linguistic and cog sci researchers; the
upshot is that there is no known culture which has possessed the ability to
read without at the same time being able to read silently (G. then goes on
to explain why this should be so).

>3) Cross-referencing was not written into it because it was not easy to
>skip from verse to verse within a scroll, or between scrolls.

Despite the profusion of allusions and 'cross-references' in ancient texts,
it is important to keep in mind that no pagan author refers to another
passage by specific *line numbers* (there is a single amusing exception in
Diogenes Laertius 7.187-8); at most they will specify book number, along
with a qualification like, "near the beginning."  Commentators like Servius
cite lines using lemmata.

Also, it seems that the ancients did not use tables to write on, or to
support their papyri when they read.  If you were writing (and weren't
using wax tablets), you supported the papyrus on your knee, and you read
the text while holding it in the air or on your lap or knees. (One papyrus
fragment we have is signed to the effect that "this text was copied by me,
my right hand, and my knee.")    Large, flat tables do not become a regular
feature of libraries until  the Renaissance, though there were small
reading stands much earlier.

My source for these claims is the recent book by J. P. Small, Wax Tablets
of the Mind.  Cognitive Studies of Memory and Literacy in Antiquity. (New
York 1997)  It is mostly about ancient technologies of writing, and is one
of the most fascinating books on classics that I've read in the past year.

Phil Thibodeau