>the text was sung at one point. --??
>       The transition from scroll to
>codex makes me think that the early
>commentaries (esp. Servius) became
>_possible_ once the format changed--
>to improve cross-referencing?
>       R.C.
>^^^^^^^^^^
>Dr. Raymond Cormier                <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>Visiting Professor of French          Dept. of English, Philosophy
>Longwood College                          and Modern Languages
>Farmville, VA 23909 USA         (O) Tel. 804/395-2857 (p.m.)
>                                                       FAX 804/395-2145

I would certainly be interested in hearing more about this notation. Is the
music clearly mediaeval in origin? Or is there a possibility that it could
survive from antiquity? Ancient Roman music seems to be very scarce.
I think that early commentaries (as someone else has suggested) did not
need the codex in order to exist; they occupied their own rolls. I wonder
too whether the earliest Virgilian "commentary" -- certainly predating the
codex -- was in fact a hypomnema produced by Varius and Tucca to explain
their editorial choices; if, for example, they removed the Helen episode of
Aeneid 2 but reported it in their hypomnema, this could explain the
peculiarities of its survival and transmission.
JLB

James Lawrence Peter Butrica
Department of Classics
Memorial University