The two similarities (Daedalus-Aeneas/Daedalus-Virgil) are linked by the
lines 'ipse ratem nocturnis rexit in undis' (of Aeneas, V 868) and 'ipse
dolos tecti ambagesque resolvit, caeca regens filo vestigia' (of Daedalus,
VI, 29).  The hero and the artist/poet 'take personal charge' in
situations of great danger.  The poet accepts grave responsibilities: but
does he, when we encounter the Gates which lead from the dream which he
creates and which correspond to Daedalus' great doors, finally 'resolve
the ambiguities?'.  - Martin Hughes