I've also been struck by this passage but never been able to come to a
suitable explanation. Looking at the passage again, the language reminds me
of Georgics IV "labor...et inextricabilis error" (quite a curious phrasing)
"magnum reginae sed enim miseratus amorem"; Daedalus in the labyrinth is a
similar situation to Aeneas in the Underworld but also Orpheus in the
Underworld (even more so, in the retracing steps); this passage finishes
with a sacrifice similar to the one at the end of the Georgics.

Is there a Hellenistic treatment of the Daedalus story? We seem to be very
much in Hellenistic / Alexandrian territory here, with the daughters of
Cecrops (21), Ariadne (23) and Pasiphae (24).

Daedalus = Vergil? V. interesting.

What does Michael Punam have to say about this passage? The observation
about the doors relating to the ivory gates is a good one and must be
right. Maybe this passage casts some light on the meaning of the ivory
gates.

This is a great topic - I'm surprised no-one replied to Clare earlier.

And while we're at it, does anyone have any views on the 64 million dollar
question i.e. the golden bough and the ivory gates? I remember being quite
taken with West's article where the golden bough reflected the "aureos
ramos" of Plato's poetry in Meleager's garland. In that context, it's
notable that "poluchromatos" (cp. "discolor" 6.204) is a Greek hapax
legomenon, according to a Hellenistic lexicographer, appearing in ... you
guessed it ... Plato.

More questions than answers! I apologise.

Adrian