<< message forwarded by listowner >>

From: "ddavis-henry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 1999 18:18:55 -0500

I have always thought that the manipulating, duplicitous character of Venus
was Vergil's indirect way of villifying the Julio-Claudians:  Venus who is
the ancestress of the Julian clan will pretty much do any thing she needs to
further her own ends in the Aeneid.  Isn't this what Julius Caesar and
Octavian were guilty of?  Vergil has been accused of being Augustus' 'lap
dog' but I think he is much shrewder than that.  He puts Venus in an
unflattering light time and again (her switch of Ascanius with Cupid for
example) because he uses her to reveal the flaws of her descendents.