David Wilson-Okamura schrieb:
> << message forwarded by listowner, David Wilson-Okamura >>
>
> From: "Paul O. Wendland" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Date: Wed, 8 Dec 1999 17:53:27 -0600
>
> > A better place to start
> > from if you want to look for reflections of Aeneas' character in dying
> > Turnus is the nice parallel between Turnus' limbs being undone by
> > cold here (solvuntur frigore membra), and Aeneas' limbs being undone by
> > cold the very first time he appears by name in the epic, in 1.92:
> > extemplo Aeneae solvuntur frigore membra
>
> Also a pretty typical case of inclusio--backing out of a piece the same way
> you came in--that may be some evidence indicating the work was not half so
> unfinished as Virgil thought it was.  What was it Hemingway once said?  "I
> never so much *finished* a book as I *abandoned* it.

Yes, indeed, but two points I try to reflect in this context:
1. "same phrase" might show us an idiomatic speech; the question is then: if
this formula is used in other contexts too, in other places of Roman (or
Greek?)
literature;
2. the abrupt ending of this epos: hwo does "an epos" end?
a) Ilias: one verse only like a chapter-title:
"hôs hoi g' amphiepon taphon Hektoros hippodamoio"
"so they cared for the funeral of Hektor, the horse-thamer"

that is also a little bit abrupt, but the chapter itself rounds the theme of
the
beginning, "mênin ... Achillêos", fullfilling it, satisfying it: "mênin" of
course meant the not-fighting of Achileus, not willing to fight, withdrawing
from the battle; then he comes back, kills Hektor, and with the funeral ends
the
whole plexus very round-circled.

b) Odyssee:
"Mentori eidomenê êmen demas êde kai audên"
- (Pallas Athene, who was)
"totally similar to Mentor, in her outer form and in her voice"

not less abrupt; a feeling of "ending the eops" comes only by this Taking-off
the view from the theme, like "let's change the view now, it was enough about
the struggle"; and it is a little praise of Pallas Athene; and it is an epic
formula, theophanic (or simply epiphanic) epitheton of Pallas Athene. Singing
the muse in the beginning, singing the goddes in the end.
Here also the story has become rounded in fullfilling and peace.

Argonautika and Dionysiaka are not so abrupt ending - what alse should be
compared? the Latin epe of course: Lucan - o, I have no Lucan in my house, who
helps and gives the end for a comparing glance on it?

grusz, hansz