David Wilson-Okamura schrieb:
> << message forwarded by listowner, David Wilson-Okamura >>
>
> Date: Wed, 8 Dec 1999 16:16:13 -0600 (CST)
> From: Rich Guerra <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
>       I think actually looking upon a visual representation of the
> shield would help me understand it's significance.
>
> Does anyone know of a book or internet site that contains this??
>
>                                       Rich

mmmh - might this be meant by the auctor(s)? And should it be given in
geometrical style? or atavistic classical? hellenistic overwhelming? no - i
don't think, that's the sense of the shield-descriptions. Since Homer and
(Pseudo-) Hesiod and also by Maro these shield-descriptions go in an own
dimension maybe, take off from the battle-stories in a 90° angle, but they are
not optical, for view, vor the eyes; but it remains the question, what they
are.
We won't find an archaic picture of the shield; but what kind of imagination do
these magic "descriptions" of a time-panorama mean? Dream-sphere like Jakobs
blessings in the end of genesis?
don't know, but never, never that is to realise in a picture, neither archaic
nor geometric, absolutely forbidden as "classical" painting, no, no painting,
no
picture, an imagination maybe for the inner "epic" memory, a panorama of times.

grusz, hansz