Vergil's description of Aeneas' shield in Book VIII recalls Homer, but
here as elsewhere Vergil exploits the parallel not to emphasize the
similarities between his vision and Homer's, but, rather, the differences.
If you examine the imagery and language of the two passages closely,
you'll notice that each offers a startlingly different conception of time:
in Homer time is cyclical (images of the wheeling heavens, the
changing seasons, the people joining together in a circle); the
dilemma of the Homeric hero is timeless, eternally recurring.
By contrast, time on Aeneas' shield is linear.  Events occur at a
determinable point in time; and the meaning of one event can only be
established by reference to what precedes and what follows it.  The
suffering of Aeneas and the suffering he inflicts on others can be
understood--his journey gains meaning--only  when viewed in its proper
place in a linear time-line that has as its culmination--its
vindication--Augustus.  In this sense, the Vergilian hero's dilemma is
essentially "historical."