1.
We may choose between various vantage points: do we want to read Aeneas'
words on Creusa's disappearance as modern readers? Or as Romans? Or as
Dido and the Carthaginians (to whom these words are directed)? Or some
combination of all this? It is important, I believe, to define where we
want to stand.

2.
We must remember that Aeneas is a VIP. It is not only him, Anchises,
Iulus and Creusa; there is an unspecified number of warriors, perhaps
their families, servants, and assorted persons; cf. 2,743-44 hic demum
_collectis omnibus_ una / defuit, et _comites_ natumque uirumque
fefellit. We are speaking of a military situation, or of an evacuation.
It was in the _Air Force One_ movie, I think: Harrison Ford, as the
president of the US, in the confusion under attack gets separated from
his wife and daughter _unvoluntarily_, mainly thanks to his security
service.
This is not to excuse Aeneas, simply to remember that there is more to
the picture than meets the (reader's) eye. Because Aeneas dismisses his
entourage in a word or two, it does not mean it is not there. Also, I do
not think 2,712-16 proves _definitely_ that Aeneas and his three go
totally alone.

3.
What of Aeneas' panic in 735-36? And do we hear his conscience in
726-29? He _knows_ he failed Creusa, and probably lost face in front of
his _comites_, too.

An interesting topic!

Neven