Many thanks for these interesting and helpful comments.  My own
favourite from Shakespeare is "Much as the waves march towards the
pebbled shore" where the shooshing sound runs in a wonderful
counterpoint with the stresses of the pentameter.

What you have described also reminds me of polyrhythmic music from
Africa (or Steve Reich) and elsewhere.  Trouble is I am sort of stuck
with my school Latin. I don't think there is much I can do about that,
but it was terribly pedestrian and dead with its BBC/Oxford accent.
Perhaps I realised this when I lived in Italy and heard the wonderful
liquid fluidity of Italian speakers many of whom, of course, will
pronounce Latin in a similar way, though I appreciate this is likely
to be no nearer Roman that English is to Anglo-Saxon.

Apropos of all this, I remember one of my Latin masters used to wax
lyrical over Virgil's phrase 'Nox ruit' from the Aeneid.  The fact
that I remember this after 50 years is a testament to his teaching
ability, but I still do not understand why he found it so fascinating
and powerful.  Can anyone enlighten me ('nox deruit' as one might
say?)

Patrick Roper

http://virgil.org/mantovano/mantovano.htm#unsub