-----Original Message-----
From:   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Patrick Roper
Sent:   12 November 2001 18:48
To:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject:        RE: VIRGIL: pronunciation of Virgil

Many thanks for these interesting and helpful comments.  My own
favourite from Shakespeare is "Much as the waves march towards the
pebbled shore" where the shooshing sound runs in a wonderful
counterpoint with the stresses of the pentameter.

What you have described also reminds me of polyrhythmic music from
Africa (or Steve Reich) and elsewhere.  Trouble is I am sort of stuck
with my school Latin. I don't think there is much I can do about that,
but it was terribly pedestrian and dead with its BBC/Oxford accent.
Perhaps I realised this when I lived in Italy and heard the wonderful
liquid fluidity of Italian speakers many of whom, of course, will
pronounce Latin in a similar way, though I appreciate this is likely
to be no nearer Roman that English is to Anglo-Saxon.

Apropos of all this, I remember one of my Latin masters used to wax
lyrical over Virgil's phrase 'Nox ruit' from the Aeneid.  The fact
that I remember this after 50 years is a testament to his teaching
ability, but I still do not understand why he found it so fascinating
and powerful.  Can anyone enlighten me ('nox deruit' as one might
say?)

Patrick Roper

http://virgil.org/mantovano/mantovano.htm#unsub