Hans Zimmerman said: "of course nobody is going to feedback the last
one (about pronunciation)."

Well first, Hans, I found your reply most interesting and useful and I
was intending to reply (that's what they all say!).  Much of what you
write, though, I fully accept and would not, in any case, be competent
to argue with it.

I suppose it is horses for courses.  In general conversation here in
England I would have to say "Sisero", in Italy, I suppose "Chichero"
and among Latin scholars, maybe, "Kikero".

One of the problems, I imagine, is that the Latin that was still in
spoken use until the late Middle Ages had changed substantially from
Classical Latin and when the Classical authors started to become more
widely available the pronounciation the reader was most familiar with
would have been applied.

Anyway, my 'school' pronunciation seems to be very close to the one
you describe from Germany though I have difficulty in thinking that
'weni' instead of 'veni' is nothing but an affectation.  The German
'ö' I would say is more like the English 'ir' in 'sir', but that to
some extent depends on variations in regional accent.

Please rest assured Hans that I very much enjoy your postings and read
them with attention and interest.

Patrick Roper

http://virgil.org/mantovano/mantovano.htm#unsub