This is a MapHist list message (when you hit 'reply' you're replying to the
whole list)
o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o +

For those not interested in the New York map community or the relationship
between libraries and special interest groups, please stop reading now.

Hello everyone

I don’t speak for the New York Public Library either, but I did work there for
eight years as Alice Hudson’s assistant chief of the Map Division. I am certain
that Matt and the rest of the Map Division staff are sensibly keeping out of
this discussion, but I feel there are a couple of points that should be made.

I do not particularly condone the fact that NYPL, in the first instance,
decided to no longer allow meetings of the NY Map Society in the library, but I
do understand it. New York Public Library receives funding from both public and
private sources, so it is not entirely true to call it a public institution.
The Mercator Society, which is the support group for the Map Division, is a
group which is within the NYPL’s organization (in other words, it’s part of the
NYPL). The New York Map Society is an entirely separate and private group which
is not part of the NYPL, but is external to it. In these difficult economic
times, it could be that the administration of the Library felt that it could
not support two map groups, and if that’s the case, it’s not difficult to
understand why they chose to continue supporting the group that is part of
their own organization, no matter how much good work the Map Society has done.
After all, the Mercator Society
 does generate income for the Map Division, which the Map Society does not.
It’s unfortunate that the situation is such that the Library felt it had to
make a choice, but it shouldn’t be difficult to understand the choice it made.

That would seem to be the simple explanation, and I could stop there, but I
won’t (I expect that doesn’t surprise people who know me). On the one hand, it
could be argued that the Map Society’s secretary didn’t do the Society any
favors by hanging out the dirty linen on an international e-mail list. Given
the indiscretion shown by recounting all of this publicly, I can only imagine
that “only we had to be a bit more forceful” was not a pretty sight. On the
other hand, we can all understand the secretary’s frustration, and in fact some
public pressure might have helped get the result the Society wanted. But I
would still question the wisdom of putting all these details on an
international email list, as you never know who’s reading them now, or the next
time the Map Society needs a favor. I’m sure Matt is doing his best to resolve
all this amicably; unfortunately, his efforts are being re-paid with the
announcement (do I need to mention
 “international email list” again?) that “NYPL might be able to supply
alcohol.” That’s just what  taxpayers and donors need to hear, let alone
library administrators. Let’s hope all Matt’s excellent work with bringing new
life to old maps of New York isn’t interrupted by a call from the new Library
president for a reprimand, all thanks to the New York Map Society.

My opinions are my own and I do not speak for any organization I have worked
for, do work for, or may work for in the future.

April Carlucci
The Intinerent Map Catalog(u)er