This is a MapHist list message.
News: If you don't get messages anymore, go to http://www.maphist.nl for news
about the new MapHist Forum
o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o + o +

Good Al, Very Good!
I starting collection maps and atlases in 1974, with no money and buying items
at my pocket possibility, just as I loved, and still love, maps as a way for
human kind to find his way in this world and along with his fantasy. A way of
put order in his mind and out of it.
The reason why somebody and, I dare say, ANY OF US collect maps is for their
cultural value and for their aspect or content (features generally speaking).
If I discover that my maps by Rizzi Zannoni on Southern Italy or his map of
Atlas of Poland is of no market value this doesn't change my life and my
opinion on that collected items. Of course, I live in this world and I know
that for a certain number of persons ANYTHING has a value and maps among them,
and me too I have sold or exchanged my maps but this is not the matter and has
nothing to do with the reasons of COLLETING maps.

To suggest to somebody to by valuable maps and to buy maps as investment is a
stupid thought. Of course I am aware it is my own personal opinion.

vladimiro valerio
scholar in the field of History of Representation of Space, Map Collector and
Map Lover, and President of Italian Map Collector Society

Maphist mailing list
Maphist@geo.uu.nl