    -----Original Message-----
    From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of Graham Smith
    Sent: July 31, 1999 10:54 AM
    To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
    Subject: MI Splitting polygons

   Hi everyone,

   I have a MapInfo layer containing a large number of records. Most of the
records are single geometric shapes (polygons), but some are comprised of
geographically separate polygons that have been combined into a single
record. I need to be able to split these combined polygons so that in the
resulting table every record in the table represents a single geometric
shape (polygon).

   Does anyone know how this can be done automatically using mapbasic?  I
know that it can be done interactively, by drawing a shape around a polygon
in the cosmetic layer and using the "Split" command, but I have around
50,000 records in the table and it would take forever to do this manually.
Is there some way of identifying from the .MAP file whether a record
consists of more than one polygon?

   Graham Smith

This e-mail contains information that is intended for use only by the
addressee.  If you have received this e-mail in error, you are advised
that copying, distributing, disclosing or otherwise acting in reliance
on this e-mail is expressly prohibited.  If you have received this
e-mail in error, please let us know by email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] or
telephone on (011 61) (07) 3810 6666.