Aditya-
This is snipped out of my scalebar program, it seems to work...

Part of your Dialog will have something like this:
Control EditText
                Value "0"
                Position 15,12
                Width 10x
                ID 14
                Into <int_variable>
'.your other dialog controls
'.
'.
Control OKButton
                Position 8x,15y
                ID 9
                calling Check_OK

just make sure you assign an ID number and call the sub Check_OK.
In your new sub Check_OK - note the last part(& declare it at the
beginning):

Sub Check_OK
        If Val(ReadControlValue(14)) < 0 then  'note the 14 is the cotrol ID
                Note "You MUST enter a POSITIVE Value before continuing."
                Alter Control 14 Active
                Dialog Preserve
        ElseIf ReadControlValue(14) = str$(0) then
                Note "You MUST enter a Value before continuing."
                Alter Control 14 Active
                Dialog Preserve
        ElseIf Val(ReadControlValue(14)) = 0 then
                Note "Please type a number, not text!"
                Alter Control 14 Active
                Dialog Preserve
        End IF