I've been trying to open some large grid files( CDED data layers) and create
contours and 3D views with VM. The following is a summary of the problems
I've had/solutions attempted:

>Error messages with 3D view-3 (these continue coming up in order
      multiple  times and I end up having to shut down):
    -"file or to increase the size of your current paging file"
    -"out of system resources"
    -"your system is running low on virtual memory. Please close some
    applications" ( I've tried doing it with just MI opened and it still
doesn't work).

>Error message with contour( VM):
   -"Out of Memory. Extended error value:713"

>I'm using MI 4.5.2 so there shouldn't be a problem.
( I am able to use the VM info tools though)

>I tried opening it again from Explorer like you suggested and got a
different message:
 -"The instruction at '0x00408391' referenced memory at
         '0x00000000'. The memory could not be 'read' "

If you could be of any assistance it would be greatly appreciated.