Dear Jon

I think the biggest problem is that some of the best formats are
proprietary.

I have recently been looking at other formats as I am interested in
overlaying others within MapInfo.

NTF is a good one for us here in the UK and with modern processors can
be used on the fly and is published by OS. ESRI is published ( thanks
for the help on this one). DXF has been adopted as a British Standard
for Graphics Interchange and is published by Autodesk. There is a good
description of MID/MIF in the MapInfo manuals.

However some of the best graphics formats are proprietary. In particular
I think the MapInfo MAP format and the Autodesk DWG files are not
published.

Surely what will be the best in the long term is that all systems read
all formats. Open GIS !

I'll be interested to see your feedback.

Regards

Bob

PS I wouldn't let a developer pester you !!!

In message <3D9E631D1970D311889E00A0C92A45C36DF6@COMMS_SERVER>, Jonathan
Stokes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes