Peter,

I don't see any need to export the data to Excel. Why don't you just
use an SQL Query and use the Order By option to sort the data. Then
you can delete the duplicates.
Where there isn't a column that can be used to identify duplicates, I
use Update Column to add object information (Area for regions,
ObjectLen for lines & polylines, CentroidX for points) to a temporary
column that I can sort on. It's obvious from this data which objects
are duplicates because it's very unlikely that theses values will be
the same for non-duplicates in the situations I encounter.

Regards,

Keith

> Date:          Thu, 24 Feb 2000 13:54:03 +1100
> To:            [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> From:          Peter Robinson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject:       Re: MI Find duplicates in a column of MapInfo table

> We have been processing large amounts of plot based development data. Often
> we get multiple applications for one plot, and just as you want, only one
> instance of each ID.  The easiest way was to export the table to Excel,
> sort on the column and remove the duplicates.  If any one knows an easier
> way, I would love to hear it!
>
> Cheers and I hope that this helps!
>
> Peter Robinson
> Reseach Associate                     Director
> Urban Frontiers Program, UWS  Peter Robinson Associates
>
> At 03:18 PM 2/29/00 +0100, you wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >I have a MapInfo table and I want to find duplicates in a column of this
> >table called "CODE" (text 8 characters). This column must contains one
> >and only one ID.
> >
> >How can I find those duplicates (e.g., in ArcView, I can use the command
> >"SUMMARIZE") ?
> >
> >Thanks for your help.
> >
> >Best regards
> >
> >Frederic CHAUVIN
> >

> Peter Robinson
> BTP(Hons 1)(UNSW) M.Des.Sci(Comp)(Sydney) MA(UrbDes)(OxfordBrookes)
> Research Associate
> Urban Frontiers Program
> UWS - Macarthur
> PO Box 555
> Campbelltown NSW 2560 Australia
>
> Ph: +61 2 4620 3499
> Fx: +61 2 4620 3447
> Mb: 0414 470 929
> Em: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> Visit the Urban Frontiers Web Site to find out more about us, our programs
> and research: http://fistserv.macarthur.uws.edu.au/ufp/

Keith Campbell
GIS Consultant
W S Atkins Consultants Ltd