Query forwarded on behalf of another user...- replies to me please.

Does anyone know how the quartiling algorithm works in Map-Info ?

I have been using this as it is automated and I thought would be more
distributional than say equal ranges.

However I was asked to explain how this worked;  I expected it to give say
three cutoffs for a quartiles, together with the min and max. Map info
seemed to give the median as the lowest range and then steps after that.
When compared to the quartile funtion in excel the cut offs were about
right but not in the same position. The manual / help function are not very
forthcoming.