Thanks to Sheila Quan and Thomas Baschetti for their suggestions,

The original problems were stated as

We have a QMS Magicolor 2CX, colour laser printer, the output of which to
transparency is not good, especially by comparison to the thermal wax
transfer it replaced.

I have two questions;

1. Does anyone have any transparencies optimisation on the QMS tips.

2. Assuming that keeping the colours simple might optimise matters, does
anyone know how colours in MapInfo can
be specified so that the QMS draws pigment from one, or at most two of its
Cyan, Yellow, Magenta and Black cartridges only, for any one map area .

Sheila suggested ensuring transparency was specified when printing and
using solid bright colours.

Transparency had been specified and using solid bright colours was tried
after her suggestion.

Thomas suggested

having an extra tray for transparencies, we have one.

trying different transparency types, we have tried several different types.

printing a colour palette, I have sort of done this during attempts to
define coloured regions with one ar at most two of the printers pigments
i.e (cyan yellow magenta and black)

I have yet to learn how to specify a colour so that the printer will use
one or at most two of its pigments though I have by choosing pure magenta
managed to get a magenta pigment only region.  The appearance of the
magenta only region was still disappointing so am forced to conclude that
the idea of minimising pigment utilisation in an attempt to improve
appearance of transparencies has little merit.

Thanks again to all that contributed.

Brendan O'Donovan, Snr Geologist, Tara Mines, Ireland.