>With the advent of Win 2000 helping to merge the multimedia capabilities of
>Win98 and power of NT I think that down the road OS's will demand multiple
>CPU's and that MapInfo should start reconfiguring it's line two work in
>this environment, the sooner the > better.

don't hold your breath.  mapinfo has better things to think about than
speed/quality issues with their core product.

i'd love to see it too since i have to process thousands and thousands of
objects thru mapinfo/mapbasic and it literally takes overnight to do so.
but, it's a fact of life i have to deal with.

>I have talked to a friend of mine that used to work at an ESRI partner's
>software development company.  He said that to his knowledge neither
>ARC/INFO nor Arcview were multithreaded and that is a shortcoming.

true, the esri line isn't multithreaded now, but i really think esri will
meet this demand before mapinfo does.  especially beings they're totally
rebuilding the arcview platform and modelling it after the arcinfo arcmap
extension.