Hmm.  Presently, I'm installing Informix/SpatialWare on my Windows NT
machine.

I was told that the current version of Informix/SpatialWare will not run
on Windows 2000.

My professor told me that Informix runs on WinNT because of how the file
system are located.  He said that Win98 system "search" for the files and
then display.  WinNT just go straight to the database information and
pull. Which is why Informix works on NT best because it's faster.

On Mon, 22 May 2000, climber wrote:

> Hello list,
>
> As a MapInfo users since v 3.02 on a Mac, I now use it on Win 95 and Win
> NT 4.  I am faced with what most of us are the lack of processing speed
> in large computational models. For example, working with large DEM / DTM
> data sets within Vertical Mapper can be painfully slow.  Now that I am
> using a PIII 600B Mhz machine with 256 MBs of RAMBUS memory it's much
> better than on the PII 350 Mhz machine with 128 MB of SDRAM. However,
> using NT with two Processors and MapInfo, I can see so much more
> potential.
>
> I assume that MapXtreme Java Edition is multithreaded as JAVA C++ is a
> an ideal environment for this.  However, it may not be.  I have talked
> with the tech's at Northwood Technologies Ltd. (formerly Northwood
> Geoscience Ltd.).  The have said that the Java Editions they are working
> on for some of their future products work slower than the non-java
> versions.  I am wondering if they are testing this on multi-processor
> systems as well as single processor systems.
>
> With the advent of Win 2000 helping to merge the multimedia capabilities
> of Win98 and power of NT I think that down the road OS's will demand
> multiple CPU's and that MapInfo should start reconfiguring it's line two
> work in this environment, the sooner the better.
>
> I have talked to a friend of mine that used to work at an ESRI partner's
> software development company.  He said that to his knowledge neither
> ARC/INFO nor Arcview were multithreaded and that is a shortcoming.
>
> Just imagine running MapInfo (multi-threaded) on a 32 CPU high end
> workstation or MapExtreme on a server, several GBs of RAMBUS or DDR RAM
> and a couple 36 GB SCSI 3 HDs...
>
> Too only dream,
>
> Stan Johnston
> Geologist

               Erick Posner
Earn $$ while surfing on the website!
http://www.alladvantage.com/go.asp?refid=cbl286

-----
"My Mom said she learned how to swim.  Someone took her out in the lake
and threw her off the boat.  That's how she learned how to swim.  I said,
'Mom, they weren't trying to teach you how to swim.' "
 --Paula Poundstone