Dear Friends,

Sorry, if we have caused inconvenience to the list members by putting the
survey info on the list.

Just a few clarifications on some points raised about this survey / site
(www.GISdevelopment.net)

>>In addition, it's NOT the first GIS magazine for Asia. GEO World
Asia/Pacific has been covering this region for years (see
http://www.geoplace.com if you're interested.)

Please note that we are 'Asia's first MONTHLY publication on Geographic
Information Sciences'. And 'not the first GIS magazine for Asia. GEO World',
as you have kindly mentioned.

If you are aware about any other monthly publication on the subject from
Asia, we will be happy to correct ourselves.

>>I still think the best way to draw business online is to FIRST
establish yourself as a contributing member of the community, not
to introduce yourself by treating the community as a resource to
be exploited.

I think we have contributed to the community by being publishing the
magazine since the last three years. We have been online with our magazine
(with complete articles) since last two years. We have been trying to create
a platform for the GIS community in Asia (although, in less electronic way
and more through traditional methods like publishing, workshops, conferences
etc.) for the last three years.

Some of our activities being:

GIS Forum South Asia:  South Asian Conference for promoting the concept of
Regional Geographic Information Infrastructure in the South Asian Region.
http://www.esri.com/news/arcnews/fall99articles/41-gisforum.html
and http://www.csdms.org/events/gisf.htm

GIS Country Pages for Asian Countries: We have tried to build up country
pages for nearly all the Asian countries. Through our country pages, we are
trying to help build intra and inter country networks for better usage of
GIS in development of the technology in the Asian region.
www.GISdevelopment.net/regional/

Map India:  India's Largest Conference and Exhibition on Mapping Sciences
(www.mapindia.org)

Our Policy Initiative: We are perhaps the only publication in Asia to have
aggressively pursued the cause of policy changes for promotion of use of GIS
in Development of Asian countries. Our campaigns are widely recognised by
the
South Asian community. www.GISdevelopment.net/policy/india

>>The only time we hear from these folks is through
bulk mailings to all the GIS lists they could find...all at once
(another unwise thing to do.)

Yes, we do agree that we are less e-savvy.

>>Considering that Asia will be where the action is online in the
21st century, there's an incredible opportunity to build a
community foundation here. Spamming isn't the way to do it.

Yes, Asia will be THE place for action online in the 21st century. Support
from other regions of the world will let it happen fast.

> What king of survey is this???????????
> Of course I could say I own a company of 1000 GIS consultants and
> I've been working in this area since eniac and I read everything there is
> to read about GIS....
>
> The results of this survey will be phoney,
> so don't bother entering.
>
>   Jure Ravnik, who wasted the last half hour,

The survey is just aiming at finding out who are the readers (or viewers) of
GISdevelopment.net and what do they expect from a site like this. This may
give us a chance to customise the content according to the user needs.

The survey faced some problems at initial stages in accepting the forms
filled from Netscape browser. That problem has now been rectified and it is
receiving tremendous response from all over the world.

Check out the site www.GISdevelopment.net first. Then criticise!

If you don't want to waste your time, don't respond to spam. Just
because it mentioned "GIS" doesn't mean it wasn't just a
bald-faced advertisement.

In addition, it's NOT the first GIS magazine for Asia. GEO World
Asia/Pacific has been covering this region for years (see
http://www.geoplace.com if you're interested.)

I still think the best way to draw business online is to FIRST
establish yourself as a contributing member of the community, not
to introduce yourself by treating the community as a resource to
be exploited. The only time we hear from these folks is through
bulk mailings to all the GIS lists they could find...all at once
(another unwise thing to do.)

Considering that Asia will be where the action is online in the
21st century, there's an incredible opportunity to build a
community foundation here. Spamming isn't the way to do it.

- Bill Thoen
GISnet, 1401 Walnut St., Suite C, Boulder, CO  80302
tel: 303-786-9961, fax: 303-443-4856
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED], http://www.ctmap.com/gisnet