Related to what Steve states below, the map can visually appear to line up,
but your spatial analysis queries will be wrong. I have seen situations
where you place a point inside of a polygon, but a Contains query insists it
is not actually in the polygon. After much swearing, I put all of the
displayed layers in the same projection and the query worked.

If you are not careful about your projections, this can bite you
unexpectedly.

- Brad