Jaques,

When referring to the way MapInfo makes graphics files outside of MapInfo, I can
give and explanation for WMF (Windows Metafiles).  In order for a MapInfo symbol
with a border to appear "correctly" as a haloed or bordered symbol in a WMF,
MapInfo writes an approximation of the symbol into the WMF.  This approximation
takes on the properties of a series of duplicate symbols offset by 45 degrees
and moved around the original symbol location.  An example would be to look at a
Tic Tac Toe board (3x3 grid).  The outer symbols, if your halo was white, would
be separate white vector symbols surrounding the central non-white symbol, which
was the original symbol in MapInfo.  I have great success with bringing in most
WMF into CorelDRAW 9/10 but I turn off the haloeing in MapInfo when making the
WMF, then reproduce the effect with the text border color and width in Corel.
The 3x3 grid example may be too simplistic and it might involve many more
symbols being duplicated than 1:9, but you get the idea I hope.

On another note:

Making a descent map from MapInfo can be done easily if you have at least a 8MB
video card, the more RAM the better, 32MB or 64MB is outstanding.  The key is
that MapInfo, when doing a "Save Window As" command uses the monitors screen
resolution to work from as a base to generate the Raster image (if doing raster
output).  Let's say my monitor is set to 120dpi, and I do a 11x8.5 inch BMP
image save.  Multiply the dpi times the number of inches and you get the
resolution of your image.  You aren't limited to the resolution your monitor is
set to.  I have done 50x38 inch "Save Window As" image dumps from MapInfo
creating very large images.  I think the AGP card was also using system RAM
also, as I created a 79.5MB BMP file.  The video card does come into play as the
limit on a 4MB card was a 22MB BMP.  I find BMP's reproduce the best color
palette going from MapInfo via a raster format into another application.  Then
in a photo editing package reduce your color depth to just what the image
contains as far as used colors and your maximize resolution and minimize disk
space.  GIF works the best as a raster with fewer than 256 colors.

Also I have found that CorelDRAW 9 makes a better PDF than Adobe PageMaker.  The
reason being that PageMaker seems to not want to allow a person to constrain the
file size of a raster inserted into a document.  It always resamples the raster,
thus when bringing in a 17x22 GIF or JPG and scaling it to 4x6 inches the
resolution stays the same and the file size goes down.  Now in CorelDRAW the
size stays the same and the resolution goes up, thus giving one a nice photo
quality printable PDF doc.

Just some comments,
Stan Johnston
Geologist