Hi Martyn
There is another add-on product which handles scaled excellently!
This is the GeoBasemap Mapping Systems product from Exa-Min Technologies
As their website (www.geobasemap.com) says:

Standardise Map Presentation
GeoBasemap maintains a database code for each map object and an associated
display style. Like items (such as all towns, roads, railways and special
technical features) look the same on every map. And you can control which
layers the various classes of graphical object are drawn on.
Scaled Text
With GeoBasemap you specify the size that each text style will be drawn on
the final scaled map. That means more consistent maps as text size is no
longer a function of your current graphics screen view.
It is cheaper than Discover (I believe) and has much much more functionality
to offer.
Regards,
Dawn Hendrick
GIS Analyst,